Backup Monitoring Trends Report published by Bocada
- Published: Thursday, 18 August 2022 08:25
Bocada recently commissioned a survey of over 260 IT professionals responsible for managing or influencing backup operations. The results showed that while traditional backup monitoring challenges continue to plague backup professionals, new issues are also impacting the category.
This paints a challenging picture for backup monitoring and management, and sheds light on key issues backup professionals must address to fully prepare for future data protection needs.
Key findings from the study include:
Backup environment heterogeneity and data volume growth will continue driving backup monitoring difficulties. Securing data across backup applications is the backup management challenge most-cited by backup professionals, followed by protecting growing data volume.
- The shift to cloud-dominant backup operations is coming. Backup professionals expect over 60 percent of their operations to transition to the cloud within three years. This dynamic is likely leading to backup professionals citing cloud backup oversight as a top backup management concern.
- Automation is lagging in the backup management category: but is on the horizon. Nearly two-thirds of backup professionals report zero automation applied to recurring backup management activities. But nearly 50 percent anticipate at least some automation implementation over the next two years.
- Organizations are putting more resources into backup operations. More than 50 percent of backup professionals report headcount and budget growth allocated to backup and data protection over the course of the past several years.
- Backup operations will become more closely tied to cyber security. 47 percent of backup professionals expect greater incorporation of backup monitoring within cybersecurity programs. This makes it the number one trend they anticipate impacting their category in the next 3-5 years.