The 3162nd Justice and Home Affairs meeting of the Council of The European Union looked at the lessons learnt processes of the European Community Civil Protection Mechanism.
The meeting agreed to call upon Member States to take various actions in the lessons learnt area. These include:
- Member States to take steps to develop a systematic approach to data and information collection and compilation from civil protection interventions and exercises, covering the entire disaster management cycle (prevention, preparedness and response activities), in order to provide a comprehensive and adequate basis for evaluation;
- Member States to further identify and develop methods of analysing data and information from civil protection interventions and exercises, with the purpose of pinpointing best practice as well as areas for improvement, and to suggest relevant follow-up action with attached responsibilities and time frames;
- Member States to facilitate mutual contacts between civil protection actors and to actively encourage the sharing of knowledge and lessons learnt among relevant stakeholders;
- Member States to promote implementation of lessons learnt in order to ensure a solid and experience-based foundation for the development of activities within the disaster management cycle;
- Member States to designate as appropriate a lessons learnt focal point in each Member State.
The meeting also decided to call upon the European Commission to:
- Develop practical guidelines for methods, tools and responsibilities for the lessons learnt process; to support Member States in the analysis of lessons learnt;
- Prepare, together with Member States, an annual report on the lessons identified from civil protection interventions and exercises and consider recommendations for their implementation;
- Ensure the dissemination of all relevant lessons learnt reports to the Member States' lessons learnt focal points and civil protection authorities;
- Create and maintain an overview of the implementation status of lessons learnt;
- Report regularly to Member States at all appropriate levels on the implementation of lessons learnt; and
- Ensure that the results of the lessons learnt programme feed into the setting up of funding priorities.
Read the official report of the meeting (PDF).
•Date: 27th April 2012 • Europe/UK •Type: Article • Topic: Emergency planning